Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Lord is My Shepherd


Special thanks goes to the Sunday school classes for coming in to the Hymnsing. That was great. I hope you enjoyed it and had a chance to meet some of our older generation, they are very valuable. All you have to do is talk with them long enough and you will see.

Thank you team for picking the songs this week, it was great to play some oldies, but goodies. Your picks were great. It was so great to see how well the Holy Spirit put the songs and the message together.

“The LORD is my shepherd” was the theme that Dr. John Lillis from Bethel Seminary brought to us, and to not think of the word Shepherd as the important part, but the quality given to the Shepherd, the LORD-Yahweh. One point to ponder this week is that living a life of faith is based on our us learning who the LORD is. Dr. Lillis states it this way, “As we experience God, our faith grows.” As we struggle through the experiences that force us to trust God we are worshipping God. More and more of us is conformed into His image. We can see this struggle in many songs that we sing.

Come Thou Fount;

Verse 2
Oh to grace how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
Let thy grace Lord like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee
Prone to wander Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart Lord take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above

This illustrates the point of the message, we learn to trust God through experiences. We struggle with who the LORD is, and learn to trust Him. Our trust in him is the binding fetter (restraints for a prisoner around the ankles). This is the lifestyle of a worshipper. Look at David’s struggles in the Psalm, “My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have redeemed.” (PS. 71:23, ESV). He is singing so that his soul will rejoice and remember God’s faithfulness.

Dr. Lillis mentioned a verse in Be Thou my vision...“Thou and Thou only, and I Thy true Son.” This is the type of relationship that God is after. That through the struggles we become more and more his. In the newer song, Your Name, by Paul Balouche writes, “Your name is a strong and mighty tower/ Your name is a shelter like no other.” We have to experience God in order to trust Him, and this is our choice.





No comments: